Lake House Real Estate for sale
   
Lake Home Real Estate for sale

 

 

Current Category: Main > New York Lake Information and Lake Houses For Sale > Upper Saranac Lake

Upper Saranac Lake, NY

UpperSaranacLake1.jpg
Lake Size: 5,250 acres (2,120 ha)
Shoreline Length (Miles): 37 mi (60 km)
Latitude: 44.2925
Longitude: -74.325556
Lake Level Above Sea Level: 1,572 ft (479 m)
Counties: Franklin County
Cities: Santa Clara

Information: Prior to the development of railroads and the automobile, the Saranac Lakes formed part of an important transportation route in the Adirondacks; one could travel 140 miles (230 km) across, from Old Forge to Lake Champlain, almost entirely on water. The earliest settlement on the lake was built at the south end to serve sportsmen: the Rustic Lodge, built by Jessie Corey on Indian Carry, about 1850, was a simple hostelry offering room, board, and guides for hunting and fishing. Bartlett's, built soon after at the site of Bartlett Carry was similar. Bartlett's Carry enabled sportsmen to get from the Upper to the Middle Saranac Lake, while the Indian Carry crossed from Upper Saranac Lake to Stony Creek Ponds and onto the Raquette River. In 1889, the Wawbeek Lodge (also known as the Hotel Wawbeek) was opened on the southeast shore, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north of the southern end of the lake, at the historic Sweeney Carry, another portage route to the Raquette. Guests could choose between luxurious hotel rooms, cottages or carpeted platform tents along the shore. Despite its scenic location and lavish appointments, it closed in 1914, a victim of high operating costs and a trend toward shorter hotel stays and increasing private camp and cottage ownership. It was demolished for salvage. In 1922, a much smaller hotel was built on the site which operated until just after the 1980 Winter Olympics. A third hotel complex was established using the buildings of the Great Camp adjacent to the hotel property; it is no longer open to the public, and the buildings, designed by William L. Coulter, have been torn down. The northern end of the lake was the site of the Saranac Inn, built in 1864, continued in operation until 1962; it burned in 1978. At its peak, it accommodated up to a thousand guests, and was frequented by US Presidents Grover Cleveland and Chester A. Arthur, and New York Governor Charles Evans Hughes.
  
     



    Use the map tools to zoom in or out to get a better lake view. Be the first to list a property at this lake. Sign up or log in then 'Contact Us' with the lake name and your user id for a free listing. Please check back soon!




    Copyright© 2009 LakeHouse411.com